So, there we were-my father had given me away, and it was time to finally become husband and wife. I can tell you that there were a million thoughts still racing through my head-Will I stumble over my words? Will my dress rip open? will Pastor Brian forget our names? Will someone in our wedding party faint? But I kept telling myself to be in the moment-that it only happens once. I had read over the ceremony multiple times because I wanted to mean every word I said and fully comprehend what would be coming out of my mouth. The vows that we spoke were beautiful, and the brilliance of a long relationship prior to our wedding day is that it gave us the confidence to speak our vows boldly. The traditional vows we promised to each other remind me of Ecclesiastes 3 in a way. I love the way that verse speaks to every dichotomy of importance-the traditional marriage vows do the same in such a beautiful way as to make you believe you are covering every promise you could ever wish to make. You can sense the completeness in each vow-promising to always love each other in every extreme-just as God loves us completely. Reciting the vows made me feel whole, and I praise God that He made my husband just for me.
What our guests witnessed during this period of time was a cool and collected service, which I am very happy about. However, I can tell you that there was almost a very small disaster. People might not have realized that underneath my gorgeous and perfect wedding dress, there were 4 1/2 inch platforms. You see, when you fall in love with a fairly expensive gown you make small sacrifices to keep the cost of alterations down-my sacrifice was keeping the length because hemming lace involves a small fortune. So, much to my dismay I went from 5'5 to 5'9 1/2 on my wedding day-I'm quite glad Chris still had an inch on me because one of my favorite things is having to look up to him-if I could do it all over again, I may have hemmed the dress. I'm also proud to say that my bridesmaids still had me beat in height (well most of them). I had been walking around in my giant platforms for a while and was quite comfortable in them, but one thing I had not done was go up stairs. To be honest, stairs did not exist where I lived (the first floor of an apartment complex), and I think it might have been quite peculiar if I had on 4 1/2 inch dressy platforms and gym shorts walking up and down my apartment complex stairs. So, I dropped the ball on that one. Pastor Brian invited us up to the upper portion of the stage at St. Andrews, and Chris patiently waited for me to step up. As I stepped up, that's when I heard it. A giant RIPPPPPPPPPPP. To us (Chris, my sister, and I), it sounded like the dress had ripped in two in the silence of the church. Apparently no one else heard it. I looked down expecting to be completely naked. I wasn't. But I was trapped. My giant platforms had ripped through the bottom layer of my dress, and my foot was literally stuck in a hole. So, I am balancing on one leg in a 4 1/2 inch platform with flowers in one hand and my dress in the other, silently signaling to my sister that I desperately need her help. It seemed like a lifetime, but it was only about 30 seconds of adjusting. And the crisis was averted. I praise God for that tight dress...and my sister...and a patient husband...and the Bosu class for my exceptional balance.
The service continued, and it was beautiful. I am so grateful for our relationship with Pastor Brian. He used the opportunity to commission us a married couple. I have been to many weddings and heard some good sermons and some bad. I think Chris and I surprised Brian when we told him we actually did care what he had to say-we believe that weddings are amazing opportunities to show believers and non believers the beauty of God's grace. I was always most concerned with how others would receive the message, but I was elated that instead of using his message to spur people to the Lord, he chose our marriage. It is an incredible feeling to be commissioned in front of a congregation, as I am sure many of you have been for various mission trips or baptisms or similar things-it feels like everyone in the world is supporting you, loving you, praying for you-that no matter which direction you may stumble (because you will stumble), not only will you have an intangible support directly from the Lord, but there will be tangible support right there from the people who love and support you. You can feel that, and it is a tremendous way to begin a marriage. It reminded us of the purpose of our marriage, the purpose of our love for each other, and the purpose of our lives.
"Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:16-20
The ceremony was amazing, and in a flash it was over. It was time to celebrate, and celebrate we did! While everyone made their way to the yacht club, the wedding party took pictures in the most beautiful light of the day. Once we finished, the rest of the party took off to the reception, and Chris and I stayed behind just a bit. Chris went around to get the car, and I stayed on the side of the street waiting for him to pick me up. Apparently people are very uncomfortable seeing a bride alone on the side of the street. I can honestly say that I suppose I would be too-that is one thing a bride is usually not-alone on her wedding day. A very nice man pulled over and asked if I needed a ride-I assured him my husband was on his way. You would think he would have believed me, bouquet in hand...He asked if I was sure...I was sure, but thanks anyway...Hilarious.
My husband came to my rescue, and we were off for the best celebration of our lives...



You were the most beautiful bride...and every word the Pastor said grabbed my heart. Your ceremony was so amazing!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSuch a lovely story. And you are beautiful. Your new follower, maybe you'll visit me one day.
ReplyDelete♥ thebookness.blogspot.com