Tuesday, January 31, 2012

One Fine Day

So, as many of you know-at least those of you who actually know me in real life, you are aware that I have a fairly time consuming profession.  Being a medical resident (technically intern) means you have 1 day off in 7...and that is not to say that every 7 days you have 1 day off.  Sometimes you might go 12 days then you have a day off and then 4 days later you might have another...Most of us have grown accustomed to "weekends," having 2 days off in a row-2 potential nights where you do not have to get up and go to work or do anything the next day except enjoyable things like sleep in, be lazy, gorge yourself on chocolate chip pancakes, and/or go to church and then visit with friends lazily on hammocks and large, oversized, comfy couches.  We go through school (more so non-post-graduate level schools) and get used to getting through the week just in time for Friday night-holding on tightly to the idea of TGIF.  


Well, occasionally growing up I had jam packed weekends with band competitions, basketball games, practices, track meets, school projects, or service activities...little did I know that I was just preparing myself for a future sans-weekends.  Having one day off every so often is an interesting experience.  I have to be somewhat honest and say that during medical school I had pretty much no true days off-I was always catching up or preparing for the next fire hydrant of information to break loose.  So, one day off is actually quite the gift to me these days.  


*By the way, for all you moms out there, I have no idea how you do it-so this commentary is really about our phase in life without children-some day when we do have kids, I will look back at my one day off with fondness and wish I could have even 10 minutes to myself I am sure!!*


When you have just one day, you have to figure out how to be lazy and productive all at once, not to mention include date night and the occasional studying that goes with being a physician.  I usually try to get the energy to go out to dinner/have a date night after work the day before my day off.  This helps me not to feel so guilty if my laziness overpowers my will to go out the night before a work day.  You might see now where the challenge lies.  You are sandwiched between 2 days of work, and it often feels impossible to fit in all that you would like.  Chris and I try to plan ahead of time so that my days off are not wasted-it becomes even more challenging when my days off aren't often on the "true weekend."  Sometimes we do something as simple as go on a walk together-in a time zone where it is dark by 4 pm, it isn't often that we can go outside together...Sometimes we make dinner and watch TV together...Sometimes we go out (and mostly eat because Nashville is delicious everywhere)... Sometimes we visit friends...I actually save most of my hanging out with others for my work nights because I like to save days off for Chris.


Here are some of the things we have been up to recently on my days off.  We are lucky that we have access to so many options for quick trips and activities where we live.  We recently visited Radnor Lake, which is about 10 minutes from our house.


Sun bathing turtles.

Human loving wildlife...

Thumbs up to being so close to the wild ones.

Beautiful day at the lake.

Thrilled to see the sun and be outside!!



Husband satisfied with our walk around the lake.
We've also started walking around Centennial Park.  This activity also includes creeping around the dog park.  We have wanted a dog since moving here.  This desire for a dog has actually inspired us to be more active-we, unfortunately, have a large love for very active dogs...After a recent walk around the park, we came home and made this deliciousness:




Buffalo Chicken Soup.  Yum.


I found the recipe on Pinterest of course, added some bulk to the soup, and changed some things around.  You can find the recipe here: Buffalo Chicken Soup


We added half a can of corn, some black beans, a can of kidney beans, and instead of using chicken breasts we used ground chicken because that is what we had.  It was just as delicious in this soup, and just based off the ingredients-this is a healthy and light but filling soup.


For toppings I cut up some avocado because I think everything is better with avocado, and I added some bleu cheese (best decision).  


Chris is not a fan of avocado by itself, so he added some toasted baguette pieces to his.


Girl bowl.
Man bowl.
Yummy dinner.
And that is usually how a day off looks-waking up, attempting laziness, going on a fun activity, and then sharing an amazing dinner with my favorite company.  I only wish those days could last longer...or that I could do it all again the next day...


Someday I will have weekends again, but until then I'm going to enjoy my lazy-productive-date night-days off because I cannot complain-I am blessed beyond measure to have any time off at all...

2 comments:

  1. Brittany, Loved this light into your marriage & life... but oh, how this makes me dread residency! I'm taking notes for when Hunter starts :) (#1, plan plan plan)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't dread it Jeannie!! To be honest, I actually feel a lot more liberated in my free time so far during intern year than I ever did during medical school. I have to say that I have really enjoyed the year so far, and I know you guys will be able to handle it!! I have many fellow interns who have families, and the new work hour rules actually help with getting to see your family at least every day. I am happy because I am finally doing what I am passionate about and that makes my home life even better!! Has Hunter decided on a specialty yet?? It's still early, but maybe he already knows-I basically wanted to do everything except Ob-gyn or psych and didn't truly decide until July of 4th year. My best advice to you is ENJOY FOURTH YEAR-it's an amazing year with lots of free time and will be the perfect time for you to spend time with all 3 of your boys at once!!

    ReplyDelete